Wednesday, March 11, 2020

What shall we do about Coronavirus?


DON'T PANIC!


Well, we've all been following the news, haven't we?
As I write, we are supposed to be in the 'containment' phase of this epidemic, but the 'delay' phase appears to be fairly imminent.

The government's advice is to wash hands frequently, to use tissues to collect any respiratory secretions, (catch, kill it, bin it,) and avoid travelling to countries already in lock-down.

So, how should we behave on Friday evenings at The City Folk Club?
We are not a huge gathering, but in addition to all of the above advice, perhaps we should consider our social space and minimise physical contact.

  • Hugging and kissing are temporarily suspended.
  • Sharing of instruments, (particularly of the wind family,) is to be avoided.

Importantly, please do not attend if any of the following apply ...

  • You have any symptoms of respiratory infection, particularly in association with fever.
  • You have been in contact, directly or indirectly, with anyone who has tested podsitive for covid-19 within the past two weeks.
  • If you have recently returned from any country, or a cruise ship which is known to be currently and seriously affected by coronavirus.
Having said all that, let us hope that we can continue our friendly meetings and enjoy singing 'Happy Birthday' as we visit the wash-rooms!

UPDATE, 12TH MARCH ...

Yes, perhaps not surprisingly, we are in the 'delay' phase of combating the spread of coronavirus.
I am consulting with others and taking advice.
Please feel free to share your opinions regarding the wisdom of continuing or suspending our usual activities, either commenting on this post, or email: cityfolkclub@gmail.com.

Then watch your inbox for further emails.

6 comments:

Berry said...

This has become a critical decision. A delicate choice of words is required to deal with it. After all a wrong word here or there could start WW3. Oh its already started. That'll be WW4 then.
I'm surprised that no-one seems able to see that this is a very clever designer virus. It is going to solve the problems that mother Earth now faces. If you view it from afar, and I will be going to the moon, you will see in proper perspective what the world is facing. Too many of us with needs and wants it cannot sustain. Solution: Reduce our numbers. War is no good. It contributes to the problem and does not kill enough. The winners just carry on boasting about how brave they were.
This virus has the answers thus:-
1) You can't take out the children. By and large it doesn't.
2) The best specimens under 60 will survive with comparative ease.
3) It takes the old and infirm. The absolutely useless. How do you feel about yourself? Wanna risk it?
4) It takes the selfish who believe in spreading what they have around - when it suits them.

I'll be on the moon. Where will you be?

Colin said...

I agree almost entirely with Berry's erudite explanation of what is going on.
Indeed, this epidemic, (pandemic?) serves to demonstrate our world's ability to self-regulate ... too many human beings consuming finite resources.
Sustainable development is an oxymoron.
No, I don't want to go to the moon; I'll just die quietly here, 'almost remembered for what I have done.' Although nobody will be left to do any remembering!

Colin said...

Our friend, Bill, has responded as follows:
"Have you considered the effect on stock-market prices, already plummeting, if word gets out that you might not be meeting on a Friday night?"

Berry said...

I went for a walk in the sunshine this afternoon. I wasn't sure if I was allowed but there was no signs of any police now. If it wasn't for the parked up cars it would have been like 1940's but without the GI's . As some had said and welcomed, a more silent world. As I trudged alone I mused about all the obese so happy to be left indoors (maybe still in bed) waiting for their next meal. It crossed my mind that this could be the way the world ended. Slowly faults had developed with infra-structure as the local internet went down. The phones worked for a while but one day the last satellite crashed out. The power would probably go first I suppose but I am using the car generator - siphoning petrol from anywhere as needed.
One day I was looking at our last carrot and tin of beanz. I reached for the virus I had stored underground .......
Suddenly a huge noise woke me up. it was a sound I had scarcely ever heard so clearly before above what used to be the usual background. I looked up sharply and a bus went by. I strained to see who was in it. Not even a driver! The birds (Sparrows) were singing happily and I heard a couple talking as I walked quietly by: "I won't miss them" said the hen." "Neither will I said the cock. Awful species they were."

Colin said...

Indeed, Berry.
Surely, this has to be the end of times.
Australia burns, Britain floods and now we endure global pestilence.
I have just finished reading a book, 'A Brief History of Humankind', whose author, (Yuval Noah Harari,) opines that when homo sapiens becomes extinct, cockroaches will rule the planet.
I am considering building an ark!

Berry said...

Hi yer!

I went for a 25 minute walk at 15:30. Beautiful sunshine, clear sky and no wind, just quite cold air.
So quiet – no traffic – like an abandoned world - didn’t see a soul until I was on the home stretch and along the pavement coming towards me came a couple. I walked into the road to give them space – no danger, - and as we approached I said:
“I know what you are.” Then paused slightly. Their faces took on a look of alarm until I finished off: “Human beings!”
There was a delightful pause as the penny dropped and we all laughed loudly. It broke the silence. Humanity is still going after all.
When I got in Brenda said “You forgot the letter I wanted you to post.” Mmm! Some things don't change!