Tuesday, December 30, 2008

The Last Thing on my Mind

How about this for a kicking-off song. ("When in doubt, do Paxton," my mentors used to say!) We've all done it over the years, it's a good song, and only three chords.

The Last Thing on my Mind
(Tom Paxton)

G-----------------C-------------G
It's a lesson too late for the learning,
C---------G-----D-------G
Made of sand, made of sand.
G--------------------C---------------G
In the wink of an eye my soul is turning,
C--------G-----D-------G
In your hand, in your hand.
G-------D------------------------C-------------G
Are you going away with no word of farewell?
G-----------------------------------D
Will there be not a trace left behind?
D-------G-----------------------C
Well, I could have loved you better,
C------G----------------
Didn't mean to be unkind.
G---------------------------D----------------G
You know that was the last thing on my mind.

You've got reasons a-plenty for going,
This I know, this I know.
For the weeds have been steadily growing,
Please don't go, please don't go.
[Cho:]

As we walk, all my thoughts are a-tumbling,
Round and round, round and round.
Underneath our feet the subways rumbling,
Underground, underground.
[Cho:]

As I lie in my bed in the morning,
Without you, without you,
Every song in my breast dies a borning,
Without you, without you.
[Cho:]


No comments: