Sunday, February 1, 2009

Richard Thompson Does Brighton...


Linda: "Who's Richard Thompson..."
David: "Errr..." (Trying to think of something Linda might have heard by R.T.) "He used to be in Fairport Convention..."
Linda: "Oh... Will he be doing Matty Groves...?"
David: "Probably not..."

One of the many reasons I know age is creeping up on me has to be my preference for sitting down at gigs. Others include not liking being stood ankle deep in spilt beer (or ankle deep in something deeply unpleasant in the toilets), finding HUGE volume detracts from the clarity of the performance, not liking the sweaty crush of humanity in front of the stage and nipping to the bar only to find my perfect vantage point has been usurped by some lanky ingrate and his miserable girlfriend. Sat in the circle at the Dome in Brighton has a lot going for it. We were even ushered to our seats by a lady with a torch...
A spartan stage set. Drum kit, keyboard, guitar ready for action and a large projection screen to the rear...
House lights down, unmistakable drone of a hurdy-gurdy, thump of a drum and a trio of black clad figures march on stage. Judith Owen, R.T. and Debra Dobkin hit the stage...
The first half set list, from 1100's to 1900's goes:
Sumer Is Icumen In (I think)
3 Ravens
So Ben Mi Ca Bon Tempo
The False Knight On The Road
Pipe, Shepherds Pipe
When I am Laid In Earth
Remember Oh Thou Man
Shenandoah
Black-leg Miner
Sally Gardens
Trafalgar Square
A Man Would Woe A Maid

I am surprised by several things...
The fullness of sound considering the few instruments...
Judith Owen's wonderful voice...
Debra Dobkin's sympathetic percussion..
R.T.'s humourous banter...
That I actually liked the Gilbert and Sullivan piece (A Man Would Woe A Maid)...
That Anne Winter and Pete were sat a couple of rows in front of us...

After a quick natter with Anne and Pete and a quick ciggi on the pavement, eyes down, look in for part 2...
Jabba Jive
Night And Day
Drinking Wine Spo-dee-o-dee
Lonesome Whistle
See My Friends
Friday On My Mind
Money, Money, Money
Everybody's Got To Learn Sometime
Maneater

Much applause and foot-stomping from the great unwashed and...
Encore:

Richard The Lion-Hearted
Cry Me A River
Hold Me Tight
There's A Place
I Want To Hold Your Hand

...and we're out of here...

Now what struck me, as we travelled homeward, was the similarities between this show and an evening at the City Folk Club...
In terms of variety I mean....
I probably haven't been to the best gig in my life yet but this one is currently head of the pack along-side the Half Man Half Biscuit gig in Cornwall...

Once again, thanks for buying me the tickets chums...

No comments: