Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Being The 10th September 2010

Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds: David
Mr Rock n' Roll: Paul
Time In A Bottle: Jane/David
Tickle Dew: Mick
Woodstock: Sheena
Where Do You Go To My Lovely?: Mike
Smoke Gets In Your Eyes: George
Weave And Worry: Jane/Colin
?: Mick/Marion
The Ruins By The Shore: Ken
A Song of Innocence And Experience: Tony
Peg n'All: Angela/Roland
I Know my Love: Lynda
Primrose Polka/Jenny's ?: Bill 1:1
Tom Bowling: Colin
I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles: David
North Country Fair: Paul
Cloud Factory: Jane/David
Killamona Barndance: Mick/Mike
Make It With You: Sheena
Wild Flying Dove: Mike
When You're Down: Jane/Colin
Fishing Song: Mick/Marion
Young At Heart: Berry
Now I Has To Call Him Father: Mave
Sloop John B.: Ken/Berry
Rosemary's Song: Lynda
Old Billy Reilly: Bill 1:1
John Ball: Colin
High Part Of The Town: Colin/Jane

2 comments:

Parkingspaceman said...

Peg n'All - title is "Peg 'n' Awl", I think. (n'All! - you've been listening to too much Country music)
(From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:
An awl is a long pointed spike. It may be a:
* Bradawl, a tool for making holes in wood
* Scratch awl, a tool used for marking wood.
* Stitching awl, a tool for piercing holes in leather).

From Mudcat (so not authoritative; also: punctuation edited by me for improved readability):
"... an awl can be used to make holes for a thread or a (wooden) peg, which is what the song refers to. Before the advent of machine-made nails, soles were what is known as "clumped on" using rough hand-made nails, or, more commonly, wooden pegs. Before moulded rubber and plastics were common, footwear for hazardous areas was pegged - no nails - no sparks.".
Still, it's difficult getting the titles right from hearing them: oral transmission has given us many obscurities in folk songs, a process that still goes on apace today - see 'mondegreens' for many modern examples ('scuse me while I kiss this guy).

The City Folk Club said...

As PSM well knows, 'The Long Pegging Awl', is a different song. I occasionally sing that, attrubited to the singing of Harry Cox, from Acle in Norfolk.

I agree with PSM’s utilitarian definitions of the implement, but I believe that both songs refer metaphorically to another kind of conceptual tool.