Thursday, May 3, 2012

Radio Folk ...

I rarely listen to Mike Harding’s Folk on 2 on Wednesday evenings. Often I find the material he presents is a bit too modern/contrived/over-orchestrated for my personal taste.
I had a delightful surprise yesterday evening.

Mike featured the Irish Band, The Chieftains, and interviewed Paddy Maloney throughout the broadcast.



Paddy’s Irish brogue and spontaneous laughter were so engaging that I went to ‘listen again’ on R2’s website.

There were some brilliant songs and tunes, and Paddy’s commentary was both erudite and entertaining.
(I want that recording of Dolores Keane singing Bonaparte's Retreat, but I can't find it on Amazon.)

The programme is essential listening for any 'folkie': well produced, great music and it is how ‘radio folk’ should be.

So, did you miss it?
You can hear it again at http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b01glx4s  but hurry -  it’s only available for download until next Wednesday.

No comments: